Friday, September 14, 2018

Coffee and Tea Themed Cards

Hero Arts August 2018 My Monthly Hero Kit

Coffee

As soon as I saw this kit, I had to have it!  There are all kinds of possibilities for making encouragement cards for my girlfriends, which I love -- those are my favourite cards to make.  I was inspired by a number of watercolouring videos that I've watched on YouTube lately, so that was where I started with this set of cards.



My friends tend to be coffee drinkers, so I used mostly the coffee-themed cups.  For the coffee cards I took a large scrap of watercolour paper that I had and covered it with the top view cups using Versafine Onyx Black Ink.  I let that dry and then used my Distress Oxide Inks with a water brush to paint the cups, alternating green and grey, then I coloured in the coffee with brown and, finally, I painted around the cups with a light blue wash.  My goal was a neutral tone background.

Once the background dried, I added a variety of cream designs to the cups using Versamark embossing ink.  The final touch was to add the puffy embossing powder, also included in the kit,  to the "cream" and heated it to set. 



I then cut the background down to use pieces of it on several cards.  The top card has a full card panel made from the background and the remainder of the cards incorporate smaller pieces.  I accented each card with a piece of the coffee-stained paper that was included in the kit.  I also used strips of gold foil or gold glitter paper from some Die Cuts With A View 6 x 6 inch paper packs that I have in my stash.  On one of the cards I added a strip of brown ribbon (from the kit).


The last step was to stamp and colour some of the mug and cup images from the kit.  I used Nuvo Aqua Flow pens to colour these images.  After letting them dry, I added sentiments and die cut the images.

Tea

I made an additional card in the same style that is tea-themed and I used brighter colours.




Below is a picture of all four cards together.  Because I'm a tea drinker, I'm partial to the tea-themed card!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your input is appreciated.